New POCF Forum! (A.k.a Why I Shut Down the FB Group…)
I recently sent this out as a newsletter, but I wanted to place it on the blog because it has been weighing on me.
I gotta be honest.
I’m sure many in the Private FB community were like, “WTF” when I closed the group.
For over two years, we’ve had an intimate group, sharing relationship challenges, birth announcements, advice for the “seasonally single” to motherhood, and more.
But there was something missing from the start, and I couldn’t figure it out. Finally, I did, and it took me over a year to make one of the hardest business decisions to benefit our special community.
I wanted a private forum just for us.
For years, I’ve navigated POCFs away from the blog to FB, wondering, “Why am I doing this? I want a place on the internet that is truly our own!” A place to connect with more POCFs Worldwide without the distractions of social media.
I love chatting with the group, yet time-wasting social videos and posts from high school randoms crowded my feed. Plus, new members of the community had trouble navigating past conversations and learning from those who had “been there.”
I wanted to have a place to call our own without our information being sold to spam bots lurking around every click and “Like.” I’ve also learned that not every POCF has an FB account (as hard as that may be to believe). Why leave them out?
My goal in starting the POCF community hasn’t changed – I want to link us together on a global scale. But this time, without red tape.
For that reason, I’ve been working hard behind the scenes to create a forum to make navigating the questions and conversations we’ve had in the FB group WAY EASIER.
Lots of helpful conversations were lost in the FB feed, and although there’s a very small learning curve, the Forum is a chance for our community to thrive in new ways!
Inside you’ll find:
- Easy-to-navigate topics so you can jump into conversations and ask questions.
- You can just get notified on chats you’re interested in and when someone responds to your comment.
- The ability to create your own threads of conversations on challenges you’re facing today.
- Invites to monthly virtual events with professionals that address challenges pertaining to our lifestyle and how to overcome them only for forum members (i.e., guidance on relationships, mental health, motherhood, finances, etc.)
- First access to annual in-person events to connect with your fellow fish sisters in real life!
- Hop on to chat with your POCF sisters and get only what you came for – sharing relationship challenges, birth announcements, advice for the “seasonally single” to motherhood, and more – the good stuff instead of time-wasting social media. (In other words, good vibes only!)
Below is what the forum looks like. (You simply click on the highlighted forum topic to start your own conversation or jump in on a previous one to connect with POCFs just like you):
It was a tough decision, but I believe it to be the right one for our future.
This will allow me to show up for you in a way that honors what we’ve created – to be more present and keep us safe and connected.
The forum is like a secure online POCF clubhouse, if you will. 🙂
What started as a small FB group has become an incredible support system for POCFs worldwide. What we’ve accomplished and how much we’ve helped each other along the way is truly remarkable.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being a part of our community, and I hope you’ll be a part of this groundbreaking forum, too!
What are your thoughts on this new forum? If you have questions, please email me at email@example.com.
We’re not a community without you and your feedback and amazing ideas.
No matter what, I’m always here for you.
As always….with love and #POCFpride,