Admittedly, I’m not particularly eager to cook. We’re not starving over here, but I’d prefer to organize the kitchen or wash dishes instead of preparing food. Thankfully, Chris likes to cook, so this arrangement works out perfectly…most of the time, anyway.
Since the spiny lobster season is officially underway here in California, he’s fishing 3-4 days a week. Which means, I’m left in the kitchen doing what I loathe for hours at a time.
That’s why I love this lobster salad recipe. It takes maybe 15 minutes to whip up from start to finish, and you walk away looking like you know what you’re doing. Boom.
(Side note, I just learned I won a recipe contest for this baby. No joke! Thank you Santa Barbara Maritime Museum for choosing me in your top five! Ok, I’m done bragging now. 😁 )
I first had it with Chris’ family on Lummi Island, Washington, with fresh Dungeness crab they caught just off the island, and it was insane. I even ate it for breakfast the next morning with biscuits, and it may have been my best decision of 2020.
Even more awesome was learning that it only takes 7 ingredients that most of us already have in our fridge to make this baby happen. Also, there aren’t any real measurements, so you make to your taste. (I’m not a rule follower, so this is my happy place.)
Tip you’ve heard before: always start with fewer amounts of the ingredients, then add more to your taste. Or, follow your gut and go all in. You really can’t mess this up. (*This easy AF recipe can be made with shrimp, some fish, and, of course, lobster, too!)
Without further ado…
Quick & Easy AF Lobster Salad
- Steamed U.S. wild-caught lobster tails
- Romaine Lettuce, enough to make a good salad for your crew.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Lemon wedge
- Purple Onion
- Chives, finely to garnish if you’d like. Not necessary.
- Steam teamed lobster tails for 5-6 minutes and open those suckers up. (Learn to cut then open here.)
- Chop lobster to your preferred size and place it in a mixing bowl.
- Chop purple onion into bits. I did about a 1/4 of an onion because the flavor goes a long way. (But no judgment! Do what you like!)
- Chop enough romaine lettuce to make your happy.
- Dollop or squirt your favorite mayo. Eye it. You’re the boss here.
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to your liking
- Dash Worcestershire sauce. I’d start with about 5 shakes, then add to taste.
- Squeeze lemon wedge. I use a 1/8 wedge or the size you’d get with a glass of iced tea. Seriously, up to you.
- Mix all together, then place atop a bed of chopped romaine lettuce.
- Garnish with chives
- Take a picture to post on Instagram and tag me (@megan.waldrep) so I can show off your mad skills!
What would use to make this salad? Anything you’d add to make it even more bomb.com? We’d love to know! Please share in the comments below!
This is a good one if you haven’t read yet: Emotions You’ll Have When Your Fisherman is Away